21 June 2012 - 18:54Industry Alert: Discussion Paper on Bill C-38 June 21/12
With Bill C-38 about to move into third reading in the Senate and set to become law, the general public, including the Natural Health Product industry still needs to be aware of the proposed changes to the Food and Drugs Act through Bill C-38 – The Omnibus Budget Bill.
In less than three months, Bill C-38 has moved through all three readings in the House of Commons, without review by the Standing Committee on Health. NHPPA’s president Shawn Buckley has been seeking confirmation from the Minister’s Office on the framework of the inevitable regulations that would flow from the Bill C-38 amendments. To date the NHPPA has had no response.
Shawn offers his opinion on how Bill C-38 amendments:
- exempt pest control products from the “Poisonous or Harmful” Substances Protection in Food and Drugs;
- remove the safety requirements for food, permitting agricultural chemicals, veterinary drugs or food additives that do not have prescribed safe limits;
- cause difficulty for consumers wanting to avoid potentially harmful foods;
- allow regulations to be incorporated by reference alone, and
- permit prescription drug lists to be amended without having to pass regulations.
CLICK HERE to download a copy of NHPPA’s Discussion Paper on Bill C-38
CLICK HERE for a link that takes you to the current status of Bill C-38 on the Parliament of Canada website
The NHPPA remains your watchdog, researching, writing and advising to protect you, your business and your rights.