Job Posting Date: May 10, 2018
Apply by: May 31, 2018
Start Date: Mid-June/July 2018
The Natural Health Products Protection Association (NHPPA) is one of Canada’s leading non-profit activist organizations with a mission to protect the alternative health care industry’s access to natural health products and practitioners ability to practice. NHPPA’s message is one of inclusion. Natural health products and practices want a place at Canada’s societal table of diversity and choice. NHPPA ran powerful national campaigns for a number of years on behalf of affected manufacturers, retailers, practitioners and the public. Campaigns that targeted the political and judicial branches of Parliament as well as the bureaucrats at Health Canada, the pharmaceutical industry and mainstream media.
NHPPA has grown from a grass roots movement to become internationally recognized and quoted. Our copyrighted materials have crossed the globe and our experts have become sought-after interviewees by media who choose to look beneath surface and spin.
After a recent hiatus, NHPPA is back in full force, seeking the most powerful and passionate team to unify, and call to action, Canada’s natural health community to secure a victory. NHPPA is looking to gain critical mass through public awareness, since Health Canada released their latest proposal to overhaul, in an even more onerous way, how the entire Canadian market will be regulated.
We recently brought on a new Assistant Campaign Coordinator and we are seeking to expand our team further over the coming weeks. On of our top priorities is filling the position of part-time Junior Graphic Designer. If you are passionate about protecting freedom of choice in healthcare and have the skills listed below, please connect!
We are once again ramping up the initiatives to engage the public, industry and practitioners and build pushback against the new regulatory schemes. There is no better time to be part of the changeover we need to see to regain our freedom from overzealous authorities we want to dictate how we treat ourselves. The NHPPA has been instrumental in creating the pressure required to have Canadians, practitioners and industry stakeholders take action. The question has shifted from “what’s the problem?” to “what do we need to do?”
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or College Diploma in Graphic Design, Communication or a related field combined with 2-3 years of brand design experience, preferably in a non-profit, think tank or similarly-situated organization
- A familiarity with the NHP regulations, the NHP industry and our profession
- Must demonstrate a commitment to, and passion for, natural health products and practices
- Have significant experience producing and designing digital and other media for campaigns and an ability to design for various audiences and purposes such as official communications, grassroots organizing, and online advocacy
- Be proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator and Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel and Power Point) and a working knowledge of HTML and CSS with experience in web design and production.
- Excellent written communication skills: proofreading, copy editing
- Strong ability to render and communicate ideas, a flexibility of vision, responsiveness to creative input, and great visual sensibilities
- Experience preparing files for output for both print and online formats
- A solid understanding of social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- A proven ability to manage and complete multiple projects under tight deadlines, be a team player who thrives in a fast-paced collaborative environment as well as have excellent written, verbal and analytical communication skills.
- Experience producing web video and other multimedia a plus but, not required.
- Working knowledge of web content management (WordPress; SEO; Analytics)
The main tasks involved in this position include:
- Design and layout of posters, flyers, handouts, and any other necessary print and digital material using copy from our writers and following direction from the team
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, aligning the style with the NHPPA brand guidelines
- Post materials on our social media pages and website
- Manage image and template libraries and obtain relevant stock imagery as needed and manage accounts with printers and other media vendors.
- Ensure consistent use of organizational brand and messaging across all public communications
- When necessary, assist with presentation and design needs at live events
- Participate in creative brainstorming sessions with other members of the NHPPA core team
- See each project through to completion within a set timeframe. It does not matter what platform you are working on as long as you have the artful expertise to communicate in design. This is super critical to the optics of our brand. The designer needs to meet both the requirements to make things look great but also clearly make the message of utmost importance.
Hours and Location:
- 5-15 hours per week, depending on number of print, social media, or show projects running at once
- Attendance at Total Health Show or other like events would be ideal (once or twice per year)
- Working remotely – collaborating with the working team, advisors, industry stakeholders, funders and media via Email/Phone/Skype/Zoom, and if living in the region, working with the core team at NHPPA headquarters in Breslau, Ontario
- Starting at $20-$25/hr depending on experience, review after 6 months; may be open to discussing per project rates if in non-profit realm of financial possibility.
To Apply: Please send your note of interest, resume along with samples of your design work, to Julia Rickert, National Campaign Director and Executive Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org