HOW MUCH TIME IS YOUR FREEDOM WORTH TODAY?
We need 30 minutes out of your day. Once a month.
Tell your elected representatives that you are watching. That their evasions and excuses for betraying the democratic process don’t fool you. That they are presiding over the betrayal of the very system that allows them to hold office. Keep repeating, until they can’t ignore it any longer, that handing Canada over to the unfettered rule of bureaucrats, proven to be in thrall to big business, is a crime which should not be forgiven either at the ballot box or in the law courts.
TELL YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES WHAT YOU EXPECT OF THEM
We need to let every MP and MPP know just how many people in their constituency care about health freedom…and that this issue won’t go away unless or until they engage with it. We need to have their offices filled with the right information, information that enables them to see through Health Canada’s spin.
Did you know that a single hand-written letter to your MP counts as a message from a hundred voices? Parliament has a rule-of-thumb that if 1 person takes the trouble to write a letter, it counts for many more people who feel the same way but do not take the time. When you send a letter, you KNOW that you are speaking for many others, and so does your MP. Parliament recognizes the additional commitment from an individual when a printed and mailed letter arrives but emails are also powerful messages when sent repeatedly.
HERE ARE 5 SPECIFIC STEPS TO TAKE TO CONTACT YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS:
1. Commit to updating your elected officials regularly. Why not send them a new piece of information once a month? This helps to make sure they continue to learn about the problems and the solutions.
2. Download and print your chosen information. This could be an article, a scientific study, one of NHPPA’s discussion papers, or any other information relevant to the reason for writing a letter.
3. Add a few personal, handwritten comments on their own page or within the form-letter, if you are using one. Be sure to sign and date your letter.
4. It can be useful to highlight passages in your enclosures that you particularly agree with. You may want to explain why you have highlighted a section of the enclosed, or add your own experience. This adds power to your communication, what you say and how you say it is unique to you. The information you are sending is persuasive but your words…your personal voice…your experience as a constituent can make all the difference.
5. Enclose your letter and supporting materials in an envelope and address it to your chosen elected official. Select either your Member of Parliament, a Senate Member from your province, the Health Minister and/or Prime Minister. Note that no postage is required to send letters to your elected officials.
WHY NOT DOUBLE UP ON YOUR POWER WITH AN EMAIL?
1. Once you have found your MP’s email address from the link below, prepare an email that lists the contents of your package. Make the subject line relevant to what you have sent. Note! Don’t send articles as an attachments.
2. Add a personal message for your MP to look for this information in the mail and that you are expecting a considered reply. You might want to bold or underline an idea that is important to you and refer to it in your introduction.
3. Address the email to your elected official and of course, sign it off with your name, and your riding.
4. Repeat once a month on your designated letter/email writing day. You may like to change the subject line to reflect the number of times the email has been sent before it receives an answer.
5. Keep emailing for as long as it takes your MP not only to understand your position, and to realize that avoiding it won’t make it go away.
HOW NHPPA IS SUPPORTING YOU WITH LETTER WRITING
Our toolkits include some ready-written letters in both English and French, which date from our 2010 campaigns. We have learned over time that MPs and Senators feel able to ignore mass-produced letters, assuming them to be computer generated. This is why we have moved to enabling you to choose individual packs of information, no two packages will be quite the same. However, the letters remain on our website for your reference. They form a great basis for your to use to devise your own communications. You can even copy and paste the contents into a Word document or email to edit with your own thoughts!
Start sending your packages today!
Everything you do will make a difference. You know how only one person can make or break your day? Today, you are that one person, you are a citizen and a constituent. You are entitled to be heard. Make your elected official’s day.