WHAT IS HEALTH CANADA’S NUMBER ONE CONCERN?
Thanks to Deane Parkes for this succinct summary of Health Canada’s values, first printed in the Canadian Natural Health Retailer Magazineand reproduced with permission:
“Here are a few things to consider as we anticipate what some people say could ruin the health food retail business and many suppliers business. (I realise there are those in our industry who see the regulations as a good thing so they need not read any further.)
Health Canada states their #1 concern is the safety of Canadians.
Remember this statement.
- Health Canada will still allow cigarettes to be sold after full enforcement of the NHP Regulations.*
- Health Canada will still allow alcohol to be sold after full enforcement.
- Health Canada will still allow GMO foods to be sold after full enforcement, even though the science is questionable, the safety is unproven and they do not require GMO foods to be mentioned on the label.
- Health Canada will still allow prescription drugs to be sold after full enforcement, although they are proven to have caused deaths. Now, I am sure they do save lives. However, they are also the number three killer of Canadians.
- Health Canada will still promote flu shots after full enforcement, even though there is evidence showing the flu shot does not work. Why is HC promoting products anyway?
- Health Canada will still allow artificial sweeteners—considered to have side-effects—to be used indiscriminately after full enforcement.
- Health Canada told a prominent Toronto health food store that it is ‘illegal’ to sell baked goods made with Stevia.
- Health Canada will still allow ‘junk food’ after full enforcement, and allow the epidemic of obesity and diabetes caused by junk food to flourish.
- Health Canada will still not allow Kava, Ephedra or Tryptophan to be sold after full enforcement, even though the ‘concerns’ over safety were very suspect and they have since been proven to be safe and effective. Yet, as stated above, prescription drugs proven to cause death are still being prescribed daily.
- Health Canada will still allow Canadians to buy ‘illegal’ NHPs for their personal use on-line or through over border shopping. Support Canadian economy…shop in the USA!
- In spite of many questions about the safety of fluoride, mercury, irradiation etc. these will still be allowed after full enforcement.
- Toxic chemicals will still be used on crops after full enforcement of the NHP Regulations.”
Comments? We’d love to hear your thoughts on our Facebook page.
*Date removed to reflect Health Canada’s postponement of the full enforcement deadline.