ADVOCACY & ACTIVISM
The NHPPA is inviting any person, company or group with an interest in protecting access to Natural Health Products and Dietary Supplements to support the NHPPA.
The NHPPA needs your financial support to continue to provide leadership on issues vital to the Natural Health Community such as the upcoming regulatory changes to regulate NHPs under the same regulations as chemical non-prescription drugs.
Health Canada has published a time-table to dramatically change the way in which NHPs will be regulated. Some of the upcoming changes include:
- The Natural Health Product Regulations will be phased out and replaced;
- Natural health products will be regulated under the same regulations as chemical drugs;
- The draconian enforcement powers found in the old Bill C-51 that the government later promised would not be applied to natural health products will be applied to natural health products;
- The health conditions natural health products can be used for will be further curtailed;
- Censorship of truthful information will be increased;
- The natural health community will be subjected to administrative penalties and licensing fees;
- Access to natural health products will be reduced.
The NHPPA is ideally suited to deal with this immediate threat.
- There is a pressing need for an organization that is positioned to take a leading role in uniting both the stakeholders and the other interest groups in the industry. The leading consumer groups have already expressed a desire to work with the NHPPA in forming a coalition. None of the leading consumer groups are willing to work with the any of the other trade and interest groups such as the CHFA.
THE NHPPA MAY BE THE ONLY ORGANIZATION CAPABLE OF CREATING THE COALITION NECESSARY TO ADDRESS THE IMMEDIATE REGULATORY CRISIS.
- The NHPPA will be able to include those stakeholders that for whatever reasons are unwilling to work with the other industry groups.
- The NHPPA will seek to work with all other industry groups to bring about regulatory change and in this way can act as a bridge between those groups and stakeholders and consumer groups currently unwilling to work with
The current regulatory crisis is not the issue threatening the NHP industry. Although the Natural Health Product industry is facing an immediate threat with the imposition of the drug-style NHP Regulations, there are other threats lurking in the background. These threats include:
- international treaties Canada and the United States are participating in such as CODEX;
- the imposition of ever stricter standards upon the industry by Health Canada and the Food and Drug Administration in the United States;
- the seizure of products at the border between the United States and Canada. Currently, the main problem is U.S. products entering Canada. However, with the imposition of stricter standards on dietary supplements by the F.D.A., there is a real risk that the F.D.A. will adopt the Health Canada approach of stopping products at the border;
- the imposition of ever-widening intellectual property right agreements and treaties that will affect the Natural Health Product industry.
The NHPPA is the watch-dog for the NHP Community. We consistently offer the best analysis of upcoming changes so that you can make informed decisions. Support us or find yourself without our analysis and ability to create political pressure when necessary.