Become an NHPPA Associate
The NHPPA is inviting any person, company or group with an interest in protecting access to Natural Health Products and Dietary Supplements to support the NHPPA .
Why Support the NHPPA ?
The Natural Health Product Industry is under immediate threat. For example:
- the majority of NHP License applications are being denied under Regulations that were to legitimize the industry. At this point almost 60% of license applications have been either refused or withdrawn. These are primarily license applications for single ingredient products. The NHPPA expects that the percentage of license refusals will increase to 80-90% as the NHPD starts considering multi-ingredient products. In short, the industry will remain largely illegal, or the majority of NHPs will have to be taken off of the market;
- the new NHP Regulations are driving small and medium manufacturers out of business;
- manufacturers continue to drop low selling Natural Health Products due to the high cost of compliance;
- the NHP Regulations unduly increase the cost of products;
- the NHP Regulations drive products from the market that Canadians depend upon for their health;
- innovation on new products is grinding to a halt as it becomes clear that novel multi-ingredient products will not pass Health Canada’s scrutiny without drug-style evidence in the form of clinical trials;
- natural health products that consumers, retailers and distributors depend upon are stopped at the border due to non-compliance with the NHP Regulations.
The NHPPA is ideally suited to deal with this immediate threat.
- There is a pressing need for an organization that is positioned to take a leading role in uniting both the stakeholders and the other interest groups in the industry. The leading consumer groups have already expressed a desire to work with the NHPPA in forming a coalition. The NHPPA may be the only organization capable of creating the coalition necessary to address the immediate regulatory crisis.
- The NHPPA will be able to include those stakeholders that for whatever reasons are unwilling to work with the other industry groups.
- The NHPPA will seek to work with all other industry groups to bring about regulatory change and in this way can act as a bridge between those groups and stakeholders and consumer groups currently unwilling to work with them.
The current regulatory crisis is not the issue threatening the NHP industry. Although the Natural Health Product industry is facing an immediate threat with the imposition of the drug-style NHP Regulations, there are other threats lurking in the background. These threats include:
- international treaties Canada and the United States are participating in such as CODEX;
- the imposition of ever stricter standards upon the industry by Health Canada and the Food and Drug Administration in the United States;
- the seizure of products at the border between the United States and Canada. Currently, the main problem is U.S. products entering Canada. However, with the imposition of stricter standards on dietary supplements by the F.D.A., there is a real risk that the F.D.A. will adopt the Health Canada approach of stopping products at the border;
Stakeholders are currently not being kept up to date on these issues. NHPPA Associates will be kept up to date on these issues and will have input in to how the NHPPA should be working to protect Associates from these threats.