ACCESS TO NATURAL HEALTH PRODUCTS MUST BE PRESERVED.
It’s imperative that we come together in action, or watch our access to safe and effective remedies be further eroded. Together we can make a difference in Health Canada’s trajectory. Get informed so you can confidently take action and ensure the continued availability of natural health products and the preservation of our health freedoms.
PUBLIC ZOOM CALL WITH SHAWN BUCKLEY
MAY 2, 2019 @ 8PM ET/5PM PT
Health Canada published a schedule for the repeal of the Natural Health Products Regulations and has begun implementing strict changes to the
regulation of natural health products (NHP). Known changes include:
- The regulation of natural products (NHPs) under the same set of regulations as chemical non-prescription drugs. NHPs will have to comply with the same standards of evidence as chemical drugs. This will inevitably result in the loss of many safe, effective products.
- Health claims will be further restricted to claims for only the most minor of conditions.
- Traditional use evidence will also only be allowed for the most minor of claims. This will lead to a loss of products and further censoring of truthful health information.
- Fines for violations will go from $5,000 per offence to $5,000,000 per day an offence happens. Offences include making claims about a product, i.e. telling you the truth.
- Manufacturers importers and distributors will have to pay yearly product licencing and site fees, which will drive up prices and drive smaller producers out of the market.
- The future of professional products are also in question as:
- claims will not be allowed for any condition for which a person would seek the advice of a health care practitioner, and
- self-care products are intended to treat only the most minor of conditions.
Whereas now it is “functionally” illegal to treat any serious condition with natural products, the Self Care Framework is a move towards making it “functionally” illegal to treat moderate conditions with natural products.
HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES & THE COMPOUNDING EXEMPTION ARE AT RISK
Homeopathic remedies are currently licensed based on consistency with homeopathic texts (Materia Medica, etc.). Under the new regime, health claims will need to be supported by approved types of science because Health Canada is concerned about consumer confusion.
[A] non-prescription drug and a homeopathic product could be making a similar claim (such as “relieves cough”) but only the claim on the non-prescription drug would be supported by scientific evidence. In our current system, this difference may not be clear to the consumer because there is no signal on the product label, so these products could appear to consumers as if they are equally effective.
To date, practitioners have enjoyed considerable freedom in practice because of the compounding exemption. They have been able to prescribe natural health products that are not licensed. Homeopaths, herbalists, Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners, and other health practitioners can request compounding through a homeopathic or herbal pharmacy, while others graft or compound in-house. Health Canada has refused to confirm whether the compounding exemption will continue to exist, and therefore, whether or not you will be permitted to access customized remedies.
WHY OPPOSE THESE CHANGES?
As a member of the Canadian public, your ability to make decisions about how to treat your health is being threatened. The continued availability of many natural health products are in jeopardy. It’s important to note that because natural health practitioners—like homeopaths, herbalists, Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners, Ayurvedic practitioners, holistic nutritionists, and naturopathic doctors—will also be required to comply with the new set of regulations, your ability to access their varied expertise is also at risk.
You are competent to make your own health care decisions, free from government control. You deserve access to the products and practices of your choosing. We must protect our right to health freedom.
LEARN ABOUT ISSUES. PROTECT YOUR FUTURE.
MAY 2, 2019 AT 8PM ET/5PM PT