THE AVAILABILITY OF NATURAL HEALTH PRODUCTS MUST BE PRESERVED.
It’s imperative that we come together in action, or watch our access to safe remedies, like the ones you retail, be further eroded. Together we can make a difference in Health Canada’s trajectory. Get informed so you can confidently take action and ensure the future viability of the natural health product industry and the preservation of our health freedoms.
RETAILERS ZOOM CALL WITH SHAWN BUCKLEY
MAY 2, 2019 @ 3PM ET/12PM PT
Health Canada published a schedule for the repeal of the Natural Health Products Regulations and has begun implementing strict changes to the regulation of natural health products (NHP). Known changes include:
- The regulation of natural products (NHPs) under the same set of regulations as chemical non-prescription drugs. NHPs will have to comply with the same standards of evidence as chemical drugs. This will inevitably result in the loss of many safe, effective products.
- Health claims will be further restricted to claims for only the most minor of conditions.
- Traditional use evidence will also only be allowed for the most minor of claims. This will lead to a loss of products and further censoring of truthful health information.
- Fines for violations will go from $5,000 per offence to $5,000,000 per day an offence happens. Fines can be applied to individuals including owners, managers, and staff. Offences include making claims about a product, i.e. telling your customers the truth.
- Manufacturers importers and distributors will have to pay yearly product licencing and site fees, which will drive up prices and drive smaller suppliers out of the market.
- The future of professional products are also in question as:
- claims will not be allowed for any condition for which a person would seek the advice of a health care practitioner, and
- self-care products are intended to treat only the most minor of conditions.
Whereas now it is “functionally” illegal to treat any serious condition with natural products, the Self Care Framework is a move towards making it “functionally” illegal to treat moderate conditions with natural products.
WHY OPPOSE THESE CHANGES?
As an NHP retailer in Canada, you rely on access to well-priced, varied, and efficacious natural health products. You and your staff require the ability to speak freely about the functions of natural health products, including making statements outside of the stated label claims. The proposed changes to NHP Regulations do not benefit NHP manufacturers, the Canadian public, or retailers like yourself. Consider:
- Is it in your best interest to be required to comply with even stricter regulations?
- Is it in your best interest to be personally liable for $5,000,000 per day fines?
- How will your business be impacted if professional product lines can no longer exist in the Canadian market?
- Given the current economical trends, could Canadian consumers reasonably afford to purchase a lower potency, but more expensive version of the products you sell? Would the final product be effective enough to encourage repeat purchases?
LEARN ABOUT ISSUES. PROTECT YOUR FUTURE.
MAY 2, 2019 AT 3PM ET/12PM PT